Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Are we really independent?Do a soul search this independence day-Part I

Today as I was surfing channels I came across a movie called Sehar (featuring arshad varsi as the police protagonist) about which I had heard a lot but didn’t get a chance to see it. Sensing my habit of switching over channels by the minute, the last thing I had imagined was straining my eyes to see the entire movie but believe it or not I did manage this Herculean task in the end and I’m proud of my decision.
The movie although devoid of big stars and the usual razzmatazz, was based on a reality-based script and razor sharp execution.
Arshad Varsi has certainly grown in stature as an actor in my eyes after watching this movie.
This class of a movie vividly describes the symbiotic relationship between the local goons, politicians and the police and is very real, very believable and vulnerable (in terms of story set-up). It clearly sums up the frustration and helplessness of the honest souls in the system and shows how big and deep is the rot which is sucking the country slowly and steadily until it looses its power of resistance.
I tried to relate this movie with the auspicious date of 15’Th Aug and I found glaring deficiencies plaguing our country. There are still numerous questions begging to be noticed and answered and to which we are turning a blind eye for the past 60 years.
Let’s pore over some questions and try to access the ground reality related to them.

1. Are we democratically independent?
2. Are we socially independent?
3. Are we culturally independent?
4. Are we regionally independent?
5. Are we religion-wise independent?
6. Are we economically independent?
7. Are we medically independent?
8. Are we politically independent?

I will come up with the answers in the second part of this blog. Keep watching and a HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all the proud Indians.

No comments: