Friday, August 11, 2006

honest reflection on everyday experience

After a tiring, drab and stale day I trudged forward enthusiastically to my favorite retreat: my window that is strategically located at my tenth floor apartment which overlooks a highly energetic road. Somehow I have developed this peculiar habit of staring blankly from this window and analyzing the humdrum on the ground.
Today’s setting was no different from the rest of the days: an avalanche of cars, buses, trucks etc going bonkers on the road, howling salesmen and harrowing customers, anxious passengers waiting for their right numbered bus, fearful but hopeful street urchins and their brethrens with tears in their eyes and fire in their bellies, bullying hooligans, hypocrite politicians once again promising the moon and other myriad characters dutifully performing their roles to near perfection. Do they complain of their fate? I don’t know. Do you want to know? Of course-blurted my inner voice in unison and that is the reason this window has become my gateway to reality or should I say pseudo reality!
Gosh! What on earth are you saying? It can’t be false, it is what I see.
And that is precisely why you are wrong, you only see it, you don’t feel it and experience it. You have this weird notion that big people with big cars and big houses and big money are happy. On the contrary happiness is inversely proportional to size: the more material you own the more you degrade on the happiness quotient and which results in the destruction of the moral fiber.
When I first started forming my opinion based on my observations on the ground I was like an amateur: feeling and praising the skin without bothering the soul, I considered myself happy and why not, I had a good job, an adoring family and a future full of hopes and dreams, I had no wants and hence I ignored God and his earthly drama.
Slowly as the time passed by I realized happiness is not one-sided but is multi-dimensional, is very referential and extremely fickle. One should seek satisfaction and happiness out of very small things that happen daily in one’s life. Cribbing about one’s fate can go on till eternity but one loses simple charms of life in the process. Humans are created for the sole purpose of being rational and intelligent, yet we hardly use this divine gift. We consciously or otherwise seek or discover ways to be angry, jealous, haughty and all other bad qualities that we know since time immemorial. Why do we do it? Because we want to fool ourselves into believing that we are actually happy and that’s the way it goes amongst the majority of us.
The ones who beg to differ are the truly happy and enlightened souls.
I’m in the former category training myself for that rarefied zone of people and this window helps me in that. It provides me with numerous examples where poor people are happy and satisfied with one good meal with their kiths and kins and their rich counterparts strain their lungs and intestines with five daily meals and are still groping for that elusive smile.
Why are they hell bent on self-destroying themselves when they have all the ammunition with which they can not only achieve self satisfaction but also can make a million hearts smile? I have this unflinching faith that this would change, that chaos would give way to rationality and happiness would win hands down in the clash with dissatisfaction but for that to happen we have to shed our cobwebs of complacency and ignorance and open our window to a rational and healthy mind. Then probably no one would need to sit and gaze emptily from any window of any house. Our open mind is our window.

2 comments:

Shishir said...

Welcome to the league of extraordinary ....!! Only wary yet hopeful of the fact that unlike the countless of those uneased blogs with a single post till date, yours will see the light of the day for long and keep upright with whatever you indite.

will critique a long one sm other 'time'.....the only thing at premium in this world.. !

N. said...

Welcome :)